Feel free to read about the history of the Shimadzu Corporation and about the Shimadzu Foundation Memorial Hall, in Kyoto, Japan, on our new content Visionary.
Genzo Shimadzu (1839-1894) began to manufacture physical and chemical instruments. It was the first step of Shimadzu s activity.
Genzo Shimadzu manufactured a balloon, and successfully launched it, with a person in it, from the Old Imperial Palace in Kyoto.
Umejiro Shimadzu assumed the name of his father, Genzo Shimadzu, and in cooperation with his younger brother, succeeded taking roentgenograms for the first time in Japan. It was the year after Dr Roentgen discovered X-rays.
Built a medical X-ray apparatus for the first time in Japan. Shimadzu was reorganised as a joint-stock Company. Started manufacture of material testing machines.
* Sanjo Works, the main factory today.
Genzo Shimadzu, Jr (1869-1951) was invited to
the Emperor s dinner party as one of the ten greatest inventors
Developed spectrographs for the first time in Japan.
Started manufacture of aircraft equipment.
Started manufacture of electron microscopes for the first time in Japan.
Former Emperor Hirohito visited Sanjo Works, the main factory.
Developed gas chromatographs for the first time in Japan.
※ SHIMADZU (EUROPA) GmbH in F.R.Germany.
* Analytical Applications Centre. (Now Application Development Center)
* SHIMADZU SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS, INC. in U.S.A.
* SHIMADZU PRECISION INSTRUMENTS, INC. in U.S.A.
Started manufacture of analytical instruments in U.S.A.
Started Production Engineering Laboratory.
Developed MRI systems.
Started manufacture of opto-electronic equipment.
* Atsugi Works, Kanagawa Prefecture.
Emperor Akihito (Crown Prince at that time) visited Sanjo Works.
Started manufacture of analytical instruments in F.R. Germany.
Acquired KRATOS GROUP PLC., U.K.
* Keihanna Research Laboratory.
* Hadano Works.
* TOSHBRO SHIMADZU PVT, LTD., a joint venture, in India.
* A joint venture, Beijing Shimadzu Medical Equipment co., Ltd.,
Developed lactic acid based bio-degradable plastic.
* SHIMADZU AUSTRALIA MANUFACTURING PTY LTD.
* SHIMADZU PHILIPPINES MANUFACTURING INC.
* SHIMADZU U.S.A. MANUFACTURING INC.
* SHIMADZU MEDICAL SYSTEMS (OCEANIA) Pty Ltd.
* SHIMANE SHIMADZU CORPORATION. in Japan.
* SHIMADZU VIETNAM MEDICAL HIGH-TECH COMPANY LTD.
* SHIMADZU (HONG KONG) LTD.
* SHIMADZU (SUZHOU) INSTRUMENTS MANUFACTURING. CO., LTD. in China.
Mr. Koichi Tanaka was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
Developed world first direct-conversion Flat Panel Ditector for the diagnostic X-ray imaging system.
Celebrated the 130th anniversary of foundation.
Completed new analytical instruments plant in Sanjo Works.
Shimadzu Corporation to Take Over Turbo-Molecular Pump Business of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
* The time of establishment
The corporate emblem, "the Circle Crossed" originates with Genzo Shimadzu, the founder of Shimadzu Corporation, who decided to use it as our trademark in 1912. Later, the emblem was scientifically re-designed into the present trademark.
The solid circular margin has a width of 1/8 the outer diameter of the circle while the cross bars are another 10% thicker. This design is based on scientific data used to optimize the beauty of uniformity as the dimensional ratios used correct the illusion of difference in widths leading to a pleasing perception of balance.
In late 16th century, when Yoshihiro Shimadzu, the lord of Satsuma Province, passed through Banshu Himeji to visit his land newly given to him by Hideyoshi Toyotomi, one of the three warriors who reunited Japan, Sohbei Inoue, an ancestor of Genzo Shimadzu was given a role to attend the lord. In recognition of the services of Sohbei Inoue, it is reported that Lord Yoshihiro Shimadzu allowed him to use the name of Shimadzu and the family emblem, "the Circle Crossed."