Release of the TOC-4200 a New Generation of On-Line TOC Analyzer
Compatible with New Methods of Communication and Equipped with New Functionality That Expands the Scope of Applications
On October 31st, Shimadzu Corporation will release the TOC-4200, a new on-line TOC analyzer. The TOC-4200 represents a new generation of on-line TOC analyzer that offers the ability to use new modes of communication, with features such as web-based monitoring and Modbus protocol for two-way digital communication, and offers new functionality that provides a wider range of potential applications.
On-line TOC (total organic carbon) analyzers are continuous water quality monitoring instruments used to evaluate the total amount of organic matter in water, based on the amount of carbon contained in the organic matter. These instruments are used for a wide range of applications, such as to measure organic pollutants in factory effluents, rivers, lakes, and other environmental water, or to control the level of organic contaminants in public drinking water or purified water.
Background to Releasing the New Product
Due to the increasing concern for the environment, use of on-line TOC analyzers for environmental applications has been increasing throughout the world. Ever since newly emerging economies began efforts to reduce organic pollutant levels in factory effluents, the market has been expanding for TOC analyzers and other instruments that can measure organic pollutants. In particular, in 2006, China set targets in their 11th 5-year plan for reducing organic pollutant levels in factory effluents in terms of COD (chemical oxygen demand). Use of TOC analyzers has been accelerating in India as well. In Japan, TOC analyzers are increasingly being used to monitor water upstream from factory outflows in an effort to prevent discharges of abnormal effluents into the environment.
Consequently, the market for on-line TOC analyzers has been expanding for environmental applications. Shimadzu intends to further expand sales by introducing products with a variety of new functions.
New Product Features
The newly released TOC-4200 offers the following features.
(1) New Functionality Expands Scope of Applications
- A high-sensitivity kit*1 enables high-sensitivity measurements of samples with TOC concentrations below 1 mgC/L, such as underground water, public drinking water, or recovered deionized water from semiconductor manufacturing.
- A high-salt sample combustion tube kit*1 significantly increases the period between maintenance, by about 10 times, when measuring sea water or other samples containing high salt levels.
*1 The high-sensitivity kit and high-salt sample combustion tube kit are optional products.
(2) Compatible with New Communication Methods
- The web-based monitoring function*2 allows monitoring the measurement data or status of instruments from any network-connected computer in the world.
- Modbus two-way digital communication capability enables controlling two-way communication for multiple devices over a single integrated signal line, which also simplifies electrical wiring work. This allows connecting to two-way communication networks, used commonly in China, without requiring any optional products.
*2 The web-based monitoring function is optional.
(3) ECO Mode Operation and Reduced Maintenance Costs
- The ECO mode reduces waste by only using carrier gas and operating the sampling pump when it is needed for measurements.
- Shimadzu's unique multifunctional sample processing injection system reduces part count by integrating functions into an 8-port valve and syringe pump, and also reduces maintenance costs.
- Off-line measurements can be performed by interrupting on-line measurements without stopping them. When off-line measurements are finished, on-line measurements resume automatically. This enables more efficient off-line measurements.
(4) Reduces Risk of Measurement Interruption
- The TOC-4200 helps prevent measurement interruption due to the running out of reagents or other consumables by providing notification through the communication methods such as screen and contact output when the replacement period approaches.
- 1 year's worth of measurement data and calibration history can be stored in the instrument*3. Stored data can be removed via USB memory and valuable measurement data can be backed up inside the instrument in case chart paper runs out or there are problems in data acquisition.
*3 Storage capacity is sufficient for data measured at 30 minute intervals and calibration at 1 week intervals.
(5) Improved Operability and Visibility
- A color LCD screen displays content in shades of blue, which is easy on the eyes, and displays warnings clearly. Touch-screen buttons are operated by simply following the instructions on the screen and are large enough to be operated even while wearing gloves.
- Instrument sleep settings and automatic calibration can be scheduled easily, in a manner similar to filling in a calendar.